Terminating Employees Legally to Avoid Costly Lawsuits
Juries often believe that supervisors and human resource professionals are just looking for ways to fire employees. Yet we as professionals know that the decision to terminate an employee is one of the most difficult management decisions there is. Terminations, however, often lead to lawsuits. Jury awards demonstrate a jury's willingness to punish employers for sloppy or illegal terminations and some of these awards are in the millions. Unfortunately, many of the costly lawsuits could have been avoided by understanding that while employers have rights, they also have responsibilities. What are your rights and responsibilities when terminating your employees?
Join this informative session by our expert speaker, Susan Fahey Desmond, who has been listed in Best Lawyers of America, and get expert guidance to avoid costly lawsuits by making the decision to terminate an employee only when it is legally supportable, and following legal requirements once that decision is made.
Learn the most common reasons employers are sued over terminations
Understand why concern is necessary even when employment is "at will"
Discover how to use progressive discipline correctly
Review questions to ask yourself before deciding to terminate
Learn why you must know the difference between performance and misconduct
Find out what to do during the termination meeting-and what to avoid
Consider severance packages -and decide if should you offer one
Who should attend?
- Company Owners
- Human Resource Managers
- Human Resource Staff
What You Get
- Training Materials
- Live Q&A Session with the Speaker
- Participation Certificate
- Earn 100 Loyalty points with every booking. You can redeem one live webinar with 300 loyalty points.
At the Q&A session following the live event, ask a question and get a direct response from our expert speaker
- For Live webinar attendee, you can find webinar joining details at user dashboard. (Create an account)
- Live webinar attendees can download the participation certificate & credit points from dashboard after approval.
- For Web download - You can download recorded video & handouts from user dashboard after Live webinar session.